Tuesday, 24 May 2016
Chickpea curry and saag paneer
curry spices (turmeric, cumin, fennel, chili, mustard seeds, channa dhal mix)
tin of tomatoes
1. Cook the basmati rice - 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water - bring to the boil, lid on and turn RIGHT down for 15 minutes. Keep warm if ready too soon.
2. Chop onions and sweat down in 2 pans, add crushed garlic to both.
3. To pan 1 add channa dhal spice mix, stir, then add red pepper, mushrooms and drained chickpeas. After 5 minutes add tomato puree, a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin of water - simmer.
4. To pan 2 add cumin, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, turmeric and a tinyt pinch of chili, then fry cubes of paneer - turning to get each side golden.
5. When veg in pan 2 are softish turn to a medium heat and stir in coconut cream, creme fraiche and yoghurt (or whatever combination you are using). Taste for seasoning - could add garam masala.
6. Add spinach on top of paneer, with a little water, let it wilt down.
Fantastic. Possibly the best curry dinner I have made this year.