Saturday, 28 May 2016
Mackerel, with warm potato salad and a saffron vinaigrette
All of this gorgeous produce available on Todmorden market (except the wine).
Jersey Royal potatoes
1. Scrub the potatoes, and boil until done.
2. Soak the saffron in white wine, heat gently in a small saucepan.
3. Add a splash of sherry vinegar and a splash of water, reduce briefly.
4. Take off the heat and whisk in herbs, mustard and oil.
5. When the potatoes are nearly done pan fry, or grill, the mackerel - whichever needs to be hot - for a couple of minutes each side.
6. Lightly crush the potatoes and stir in a couple of tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Do this while the potatoes are still warm, as they will suck up more of the flavours. The potatoes can be eaten hot, warm or cold.
7. Serve the fish drizzled with the vinaigrette, which can also be used to dress the salad leaves.
It was FABULOUS.