Wednesday, 1 June 2016
Butter bean cottage pie, with root veg mash and cumin, emmental cabbage bake
Once again, all available from Todmorden market
Cheese and butter from The Crumbly Cheese
Butter beans, bits and bobs from The Mediterranean Pantry
1. Peel the root veg and boil until mashable.
2. Sautee red onion and garlic in olive oil. Add cajun seasoning, butter beans, tomato puree and a cupful of stock made from bouillon powder. Simmer for a few minutes.
3. When the veg is soft, mash with butter and plenty of black pepper.
4. In an oven proof dish, plonk in butter bean mix, and top with the root veg. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. In a frying pan add cumin seeds to a tablespoon of olive oil, fry gently until the seeds start to release their aroma. The add chopped white cabbage and half a mug of water.
6. Simmer gently until water has reduced, then stir in grated emmental until it melts. Stir in a small handful of chopped chives.
7. Serve, scoff ...