Gumbo is more linked to the Deep South, I believe, but with the chili garlic prawns, I think this should qualify. Whatever, it was delicious.
Gumbo traditionally is really quite gloopy, with the okra cut to allow the gooey insides to escape. I don't like the texture of that, so I choose smallish okra and keep them whole. The flavour is delicious, but the texture much improved (IMHO).
So, start with the potatoes, marinate the prawns, then make the gumbo and finally fry the prawns.
Tinned chopped tomatoes
1. Parboil the potatoes, then roast in olive oil for about 40 minutes.
2. Marinate the prawns in lemon juice, garlic, chili flakes and olive oil.
3. Chop onions and crush garlic, saute a little.
4. Add chopped mushrooms, red pepper, thyme, okra and a tin of chopped tomatoes to the onion, simmer - add water/stock if it's looking dry. After 15 minutes or so ....
5. Fry the prawns on each side for a few minutes.
6. Serve - with a plate for the shells and oodles of kitchen towel.