Thursday, 11 August 2016
Cod and smoked salmon fishcakes
1. Peel and dice potatoes, boil to make the mash.
2. Mash potatoes with butter and seasoning. Leave to cool.
3. Poach the cod in water, with a bay leaf and half an onion. Don't over cook it, a few minutes simmering, then turn off the heat and let it cook gently for 10 minutes. Remove from the water and leave to cool.
4. Dice the courgette, put in a pan with crushed garlic and olive oil.
5. Pod the beans and peas and put in a steamer ready for steaming.
6. Slice the tomatoes, sprinkle with salt, finely diced spring onion and shredded basil. Drizzle on a little good olive oil.
7. Now assemble to fish cakes, break the smoked salmon into pieces, skin the cod and gently flake into the potato. Mix together gently, so that the fish stays mostly in individual pieces.
8. Chill the fish cakes for a few minutes.
9. Whisk an egg in one bowl, put breadcrumbs in another. Coat the fishcakes - fist in egg, then in breadcrumbs. For a lovely crispy finish I did this twice ... egg, breadcrumbs, 5 minutes to dry, egg, breadcrumbs.
10. Finally - turn the heat on under the courgettes and the peas and beans and fry the fishcakes in olive oil ... about 4 minutes each side - in batches, keeping them warm in the oven as you finish.
11. Serve, scoff, smile.