Friday, 19 August 2016
Red onion and mushroom tarte tatin
The high point of the day, though, was getting a distinction in a Diploma in Nutrition. Excellent news.
But, back to the recipe - it's near the end of the week for the veg box, and supplies are quite limited, so I scrabbled together what was left and made a tarte tatin, with garlic cavolo nero, anya potatoes - and left over steamed veg. It went down very well.
1. Chop onions, mushrooms and squash and gently fry in olive oil. After about 10 minutes add a little red wine and a little stock it it's looking dry.
2. Roll out pastry, brush with a little mustard.
3. Cover the vegetables with the pastry, tucking the edges into the pan. Bake for about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes and steam the veg.
5. Finally quickly fry the cavolo nero and finely chopped garlic in olive oil.
6. Serve, scoff.
Again, an entirely veggie dinner (vegan apart from the pastry), and the meat freaks did not complain, but had seconds.