Tuesday, 23 August 2016
Fried chicken, rice and peas and plantain
Fried chicken with rice and peas, and some plantain. Fried chicken was excellent, rice and peas were excellent - plantain - well it's good for you!
Chicken coating mix
1. Gently sautee chopped onion and quite a lot of crushed garlic.
2. Tip in the tin of peas - do not rinse them!
3. Add a good pinch of thyme, seasoning and a tin of coconut milk.
4. Bring to the boil, stir, add rice and water to 1 inch above the surface. Stir once.
5. Bring to the boil again, slam on lid, turn heat right down. The rice will be done when all the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Whisk eggs lightly, cover each chicken piece. Coat with seasoning mix.
7. Fry for a few minutes each side, in batches, keeping warm in between.
8. Fry plantain for a few minutes each side.
9. Serve with a simple salad.
A gentle start to Caribbean food week, you could, of course serve with hot sauce for more of a kick.